The Jersey Shore

I did not want to do this but I must expose, "The Jersey Shore." It pains me to speak on the show in a negative fashion, as I have enjoyed watching this show since it first aired in 2009, but we must speak on the concepts that not everybody sees. First things first, The Jersey Shore is an MTV reality television series that revolves around a cast of 8 people who have been on the show since season 1. The cast is portrayed as Italian Americans based around the east coast but spend the summers together in New Jersey to film the show. It involves a ton of partying and drinking as the cast goes to the club, what seems like every night. It was a hit TV show that aired 2009-2012 but was followed by other reality shows that would revolve around different cast members personal lives away from the summer home. As this show has become a guilty pleasure, it is a must that I analyze it for the sake of this class.

Exclusion: When I started to think about the show going back to season 1, I could never really think about a time in the series where there was a cast member who wasn't light skinned. The closest the show got, was when the crew would go tanning and ended up a whole other shade of skin tone. I couldn't seem to remember there being any major cast member or even a secondary cast member that was not a light skinned Italian American. Not even the people that were in the club when they went out, I don't think. I could be wrong but the fact that I cant remember there ever being a time, must mean something. I love this show but it seems like the only people I see making the screen is light skinned Italian Americans. Light skinned. 

Stereotyping: This might have been the easiest one to point out because the show portrayed Italian Americans to be these big buff tanned dudes with a ton of gel in their hair while the girls were also very tanned and loved to drink and go clubbing. It made me wonder how it made all the Italians across the US feel and what their thoughts were on the show. It made it looked like all they cared about was tanning, getting fit, and going out partying. That is the whole show and its crazy how it attracts all of the audience including myself. Our eyes get glued to the TV and now I'm questioning why. While also watching the new season... Its a crazy thing.

Assimilation: At first I was going to say it didn't apply but then I would've been 100% wrong. When looking at the show, all it shows is 2nd or 3rd generation Italian Americans, fist pumping (a dance move) and living life to their happiness while it does not show what the hard working parents did to be successful in this country as immigrants or children of immigrants. It doesn't at all show what the everyday life of an Italian is in America but only films 8 Italian Americans, parting it up 24/7. It stripped them from the deep deep culture that is rooted in traditions of being Italian. No I am not Italian but I do know that the Italian culture is one of the most deeply rooted and tradition heavy cultures that resign in our nation. The show has no show for that.

Tokenism: I believe I could say that the show "does not feature." 

Othering: I also think that this does not feature.

Ideology of Difference: I guess for this concept, the only thing I could think of is the cast not all being pure Italian. There is a few cast members that are not Italian at all so I guess you could say that they are submitting to a different culture so they could fit in with the show. But at the same time, the show doesn't represent the true Italian culture so its kind of hard to apply. I guess you could say that they are submitting to the MTV reality TV culture to fit in with the partying and drama starting, rather than trying to be Italian because that is not what the show, shows.

Exoticism: The TV show does not do the group justice whatsoever when it comes to intelligence. It makes all the cast members look somewhat air headed as it also makes the woman in the house look like they're just sexual objects. They do not make the crew look like they care about anything in this world except for partying and it gives them the label of being meat heads. The stereotypical gym guy who doesn't seem to critically think about anything other than lifting weights. Obviously this was not the real case because most of the crew came out on top with business venues, most notably "Pauly D," whose made millions of dollars with clothing and headphone brands while also taking his DJ talents across the world. The show did not represent them well except when it came to partying. Completely stripping them of any portrayal of having an impact on society.. in a positive light.

After all this analyzing, I'm still going to enjoy watching the show. I cant help it. Its funny how there is a lot that's "messed up" with a lot of the most Favorited shows that we watch and we still watch them. After all this analysis, I just told myself that these guys are all millionaires. So if they look stupid to some people. I'm pretty sure they could care less.

Comments

  1. I definitely agree when it came to the topic of stereotypes. The cast members themselves even admit to trying to fit in to that exact stereotype to look "cool" and accomplish this type of style. I definitely did not catch that some of the cast members were not Italian which took me by surprise. I also never caught on to the fact that there is exclusion in the show. In all honesty I will most likely also continue to watch, because of how entertaining it is and how invested i was back in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a great show to analyze! I never thought of choosing a reality TV show. When I think about it now, as media majors, we know that most reality tv is scripted and mostly fake. However, as a child or young adult who might not know this, it would be very easy to think that this is how the world actually is. I thought your comment on assimilation was very thought provoking! I have never seen this show, but would have guessed that there was no assimilation as well. I never even thought about the deeply rooted culture surrounding Italian immigrants and how some families have definitely not assimilated to the extent that these characters have. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew about this TV Show but have never watched it before. I completely agree with the exclusion part of the blog because I realized that too when I watched a sneak peek of the show on Youtube. Through this exclusion, many viewers will then stereotype Italian Americans as people who are light skinned which is totally not true. Furthermore, I find it shocking that we are so interested in the lives of these reality stars when all they only do is party and get drunk. I still don't understand why do we constantly compare our lives to the lives of reality stars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this show so much! But I'm really glad you decided to analyze this show! I remember they would always go tanning and would make fun of Vinny for being the lightest out of all of them. I totally agree with you about them being the stereotypical and what you said about the assimilation was really good because I would have never thought of it in that way! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your last statement sums them up perfectly, "These guys are all millionaires. So if they look stupid to some people. I'm pretty sure they could care less," and its a shame they do so by reducing rich Italian heritage to iron livers. Its interesting to think about the fact some of them aren't even Italian even though that seems to be what brings them together. At face value though, the show is entertaining watching how they perceive what being Italian is all about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment